Glossop Methodist Circuit

Hadfield Methodist Church

Station Road, Hadfield

History of Hadfield Methodist Church

As long ago as 1796, there were several Methodists meeting in a preaching room at John Thornley's new mill in Valehouse.

In 1804, John Thornley fulfilled a promise to his wife by building a chapel in Hadfield.

The first Methodist school was erected in Hadfield Road in 1814, eventually replaced by the present St Andrew's School.

Bank Street Methodist ChurchIn 1878, the old chapel was demolished and the impressive Bank Street Chapel built (see photo).

The congregation from Woolley Bridge Primitive Methodist Chapel (1845-1959) and Station Road Free Methodist Chapel (1875-1942) united with Bank Street.

We continued to worship at Bank Street until 1996, when the current, smaller premises were purchased in Station Road. Shortly afterwards, Bank Street Chapel was destroyed by fire.

These churches were at the heart of Hadfield village life. As well as the Sunday services, Sunday School, class meetings, prayer meetings, evangelist services and Temperance Society campaigns, there were fetes and fairs, concert parties, teas and suppers, cricket tennis and football clubs, theatrical groups, youth organisations, and the first lending library was at Bank Street Chapel!

The strength of the churches was in the warmth of the fellowship, and inspires us to follow in their footsteps by continuing to seek opportunities to serve our neighbours and further God's Kingdom.